Thursday, September 8, 2011

Introduction


   Hello, I’m Taresha, a Junior English major at the University of Maryland (College Park) who aspires to attend Medical School.  I’m originally from Oxon Hill, Maryland.  How do I usually access media?  Definitely online; you can be more selective in what you consume.  Also, I enjoy some technology, but would not consider myself a “techie”. 

   But, technology continues to impact our lives.  Whether it is downloading a book on Nook; getting an xray; using a phone app to test our blood pressure; or keeping up with old high school friends via facebook, technology plays an important role in our lives.  In the medical field, technology is especially important.  For instance, there is a new imaging technology that allows an even clearer image of our pancreas and is being used for new studies in diabetes. http://sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110825090319.htm  Also, a new nanosensor is being used to ensure that the correct combination of medicine is given to cancer patients. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110907132106.htm

   This semester I hope to have productive conversations about mass communication.  Some interesting questions I already have are:  How have advances in technology helped to “dumb down” society? And how has social networking contributed to an increase in the instances and severity of bullying?  Social networking has become, what I believe is the most effective media outlet.  Social networking websites have become a staple for businesses, organizations, products, and news.  At the same time, social networking websites have caused disruption in schools, provided an outlet for bullying, and a preying ground for sexual predators.  My goal for my own social networking on this blog is to have an avenue to talk about such topics.  Enjoy.     

1 comment:

  1. Hey I really enjoyed reading through your post. Brought up a lot of things that I have had firsthand experience with myself, in regards to the advances in medical technology but also in keeping in contact with your friends. So I liked that aspect of the blog.

    Also I hadn't really put much hard thought into the idea of social media disrupting education or the work place before but as soon as I read I was able to think of many different examples which shocked me a bit.

    Once again I really enjoyed this post and I will be coming back on here not just for the course but out of personal interest.

    Bonne Chance.

    ReplyDelete